Portia Meaning and Origin
Portia is a lovely name despite its meaning. It’s pretty, and sophisticated while bordering the line between familiar and unusual.
The name Portia (POOR-SHUH or POOR-TEE-UH) is a girl’s name meaning “pig” and is of French origin. The name comes from Porcia the feminine form of the Roman family name Porcius, derived from Latin porcus meaning: “pig”. Alternatively, Portia could also be derived from the Latin word portionem “share, part, portion” or from Latin word porta “gate; door, entrance”. In William Shakespeare’s The Merchant of Venice, the character Portia is a rich, beautiful, and intelligent heiress. Portia was also the wife of Brutus in Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar.
Posts with the name Portia:
- 24 Of The Prettiest Girl Names You Haven’t Heard
- The Sweetest French Names For Girls
- Whimsical And Enchanting Baby Names For Girls Straight Out Of A Fairytale
- 500 of the Prettiest Girl Names You’ve Ever Heard
- 70 Regency Era ‘Bridgerton’ Girl Names That are Quintessential Posh and Romantic